Sunday, November 6, 2011

Unintentional comedy

I love me some unintentional comedy. I knew a guy back in college, smart guy, but for some reason he just didn't know how to pronounce words like 10% of the time. And not words he was reading in a book or something, but words he was using in conversation. The best was when he said he wasn't very eloquent, pronounced el-oh(stress on this syllable)-quint. Comedy gold. Or take the movie, Darkness Falls, a horror movie about the crazy Tooth Fairy that comes and kills the children that see her. It packs more giggles than a bunch of middle school girls at their first sleepover. Failure in the horror department? Sure. But, oh what a masterpiece of unintentional comedy.

Well, I had my own little unintentionally comedic moment last week. I was taking my oldest daughter to school in the morning, but before we could go, I had to thaw out my frozen car. I went out to warm it up and, finding a sweatshirt I wanted to wear later, returned to the house where I could leave the shirt so it could not be freezing when I put it on. Simple enough task, right? Well, running up the two short steps to my front door, I lost a shoe. Along with my shoe went my balance. And then my other shoe. In a moment I went from running to the house, to tumbling over my top step, barefoot with my shirt halfway up my back in the balmy 27 degree air. I'm pretty sure my pants ended up marginally lower than they probably should have been too. I can't say that for sure, but my cold upper cheeks told me I was right. Getting up, I stumbled into the house, relieved to find that I was the only one around to take part in my comedic performance.

Now, though, I wish I had been able to share that moment with someone else. While funny in written word, it was unintentional comedy of the highest standard live.

No comments:

Post a Comment