Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The truth

So, the truth is I couldn't handle the truth. Not at first anyway. And not for a day or two afterwards. The truth I am referring to is, of course, the truth about the problem with my query letter from agent Suzie Townsend. It was bad news, and I didn't like it.

The tone sounded too young for young adult, and she didn't like my title. Giving those reasons, she passed on my query letter and wished me well with my submissions. My muscles got tight, my eyes did this little squinty angry thing, and I said things like, "Who do you think you are?" and "What a moron." In truth it may have been harsher than that, but I don't remember. But, I was definitely annoyed. First of all, why even mention a title when the title of the book is usually changed by the publication company anyways? And second, how is a book about some psycho skinless lady trying to kill the main character too young in tone for teenagers?  This agent is clearly an idiot.

And then I got over it. It took a few days, but I made it. The truth is, I have never been a big fan of the title of my book, which up to this point has been The Boo Hag. The skinless chick is a boo hag. That's what she's called, alright? Look it up. I'm not the biggest fan of it; it does sound kinda silly, but that's what it's called and so I stuck with it. And named my book after it. Dumb. If you're gonna put the name of the book in the query letter, it has to sound good. It all has to sound good. I'm thinking of changing the name to Skinned. As for the tone, I am confident that this is a query letter problem and not a manuscript one. I need to make the query letter a little darker. I'm also adding a creepy little prologue to the book which I think will help.

All the changes should be made in the next couple weeks, and I will send my manuscript out into the world to face its second run of agents. Good luck to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment